About a month ago I was scrolling through my Twitter feed, as I am wont to do, and noticed a friend's tweet about her Walmart Beauty Box. I thought I was pretty informed in the ways of all things boxy, but I had never heard of this so I gave the poor woman the third degree via @ replies. Turns out that Walmart does a quarterly subscription box of beauty products for $5! Who knew? Not me. I am way too poor for most subscription boxes, but I can totally handle $5 to try a new box of surprise beauty stuff, especially if it's only four times a year. They customize the box depending on you age and other factors, so not everyone will get exactly the same products.
So, what's the verdict? I wasn't totally blown away, but it was a pretty good box of goodies. My box contained:
- Full Sized Covergirl Colorlicious lip gloss in "Juicy Fruit" - Retails for $5.94. This isn't something I would have picked up from the beauty aisle myself, but I really like it. It's not sticky, there's no weird taste, the scent is pleasant enough, and the color they chose is pretty universally flattering. Plus, this one item is worth about $6 by itself, which already makes the $5 cost of the box worth it since I'll actually use this. Yay!
- Mini Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion - I am actually kinda mad at this lotion for being awesome. Most scented stuff makes me sneeze, so I didn't even look at this for like a week after I got the box, but when I did I was super excited that it's unscented! Not even a weird lotiony smell! I liked it enough that I bought a full sized bottle a few days later, even though it's a little pricier than what I'd usually spend on lotion. Weirdly, the full size does have a little bit of a lotiony smell, but not bad at all, and it's definitely helping my poor legs survive the winter dryness.
- Travel Sized Burt's Bees Facial Cleansing Towelettes with White Tea Extract- LOVE these and planning to buy more! These do have a bit of a scent to them, but it's mild and natural, so I haven't had any problems with them. I love keeping a packet like this next to my bed for those nights when you're already all comfy and falling asleep and suddenly realize you still have makeup on! The full sized 30-pack of these is around $6, or you can pick up the travel sized pouch for about $3.
- Sample Sized John Frieda Touchably Full shampoo and conditioner - Passed this on to my mom because of the scent, which was really sad because it's made for fine, color treated hair, which is totally me. Alas.
- My box also contained a sample packet of L'Oreal Paris Color Vibrancy Shampoo, Conditioner, and Conditioning Mask and a travel size bottle of Dove Deep Moisture Body Wash - I already know that both of these tend to trigger my allergies, so I'm planning to donate them to a shelter or somewhere similar where they'll be appreciated.
It's almost impossible to find the link to sign up on the main Walmart site, which is probably a factor in why I hadn't heard anything about these yet! (I'm not affiliated with this in any way, btw, just passing on the info!) They also do a $5 baby product box, for those of you who live with tiny people.
I don't feel like this is a total must-do for me, but I am planning to order the spring box when it rolls around. I'm surprised that I found a couple of new products that I really like, and I'm glad that the ones I couldn't use were the smaller sample sized ones! At $5, it's totally worth it to me just for the fun of getting a surprise box in the mail.