1. First up, the very best part of my day:
Tom has been one of my favorite authors for over a decade now, and given that he's now in his mid-80s I was REALLY not expecting another book from him. This came in the mail today, and while I'm only about 50 pages in so far, I'm already loving it. Tom has a way with language that's just unequaled by any other author, and while his writing style for this book is a little less "him" than the style of his novels where practically every sentence is a carefully crafted work of art, the stories of his life more than make up for it.
2. I had the BEST Kohl's shopping trip last week! I won a gift card in a giveaway, so I went to find something fun. Not only did I find amazing jeans on sale for $20 (and omg did I need them - I've lost like 15 lbs this month from being sick. SO FUN.), but I got these earrings for $3 after combining the sale and the coupon! (It also made my jeans like $12!)
4. This both cheered me up and is an accurate depiction of my life:
"Suddenly, cats." (Thanks, Nick.)
5. I know that talking about the weather is not that exciting, but omg I would like a day without rain, please. I am a solar powered human. I need to feel some sunshine on my skin, especially since I've been sick lately. My weather app says that the next non-stormy day is the 2nd. Can I sue them if this doesn't happen?
6. I have really sucked at the blogging every day in May thing lately! I think this is my 22nd post out of 27 days? I did so well for the first few weeks! Maybe if I'm feeling better in the next few days, I can write a couple of extra posts to help make up for what I've missed.
7. Know what's really not fun? Poison ivy on your eyelids. Sadly, this is the SECOND time this has happened to me. When it happened a couple of years ago, I went to the doctor and she said something along the lines of, "Well, I could give you a steroid shot near your eye but it wouldn't be fun and it would expensive and it might not help much." Oatmeal is my usual poison ivy remedy, but despite waking up itchy multiple times a night, I still haven't been able to bring myself to blob oaty goodness onto my eyes, ya know?
8. I've been trying to brush up on my French (Coffee Break French is a great podcast for this) since it's been years since I've used it on a regular basis. Pinterest has been surprisingly helpful, especially when I stumble across gems like this:
9. My wanderlust has been back in full force lately. While I was too sick to do much but hang out in bed the other day, I watched FIVE hours of Anthony Bourday's "Parts Unknown" series on CNN. As someone who usually watches maybe five hours of TV a week, that was a big deal. I wish that Travel Channel still had awesome travel related shows - these days it's pretty much all food.
10. I was going to whine about other random life things here, but Bear just joined me in bed and is requesting petting and ear scratches, and that seems way more important than anything else. Have a good rest of the week, friends.